From criticism over fashion choices to interfering parenting advice… why four out of ten women have an 'uneasy' relationship with their mother-in-law
11:27 GMT, 13 November 2012
It will hardly come as news to millions of married women – or, indeed, to their husbands.
Four out of ten women have an ‘uneasy’ relationship with their mother-in-law, a survey has found.
Millions find themselves in daily battles with their spouse’s mother over everything from dress sense to the household finances.
Mother-in-law knows best: Sharing their opinions on how to raise children was women's biggest gripe with their mother-in-law (posed by models)
And as many as one in ten women are
currently not speaking to their mother-in-law following a particularly
bitter row, the study found.
Sharing opinions on raising the children was the most common cause of arguments, the poll found
Frequently saying ‘In my day, we did it like this…’ also ranked highly
on the list of top bones of contention, as did taking credit for all
her son’s good points because ‘he takes after her’.
Mothers-in-law giving children too much junk food or interfering with
financial matters were also common, the study by online researchers
Battle of wills: Four out of ten women have an uneasy relationship with their mother-in-law like Jennifer Lopez and Jane Fonda's characters in the film 'Monster-in-Law'
About half of women respondents said they have argued with their partner about his mother.
And 15 per cent have come close to ending their relationship over friction with her.
A OnePoll spokesman said: ‘This report seems to suggest mothers-in-law
know exactly how to push the buttons of their daughters-in-law.’
MOTHER-IN-LAWS' WORST TRAITS
1. Sharing their opinions on how to raise your children
2. Acting like they know what's best
3. Declaring: 'In my day, we did it like this… '
4. Criticising your mothering skills
5. Giving your children too much junk food
6. Acting as if she knows what your children like and don't like
7. Not listening
8. Making out they know their son better than you
9. Tidying up on arrival at your house
10. Interfering in financial matters
11. Taking credit for her son's good points because he 'takes after her'
12. Asking her son 'are you eating well enough, you look thin'
13. Telling you: 'You could do with losing a bit of weight'
14. Insisting on talking on a landline rather than a mobile
15. Declaring: 'You need to get started on my grandchildren, you aren't getting any younger.'
16. Asking your partner to keep a secret from you
17. Criticising your outfit
18. Refusing to listen to your tips when she is babysitting because 'she's had her own children'
19. Criticising meals you serve because you 'don't cook enough from scratch'
20. Buying a plug-in air freshener when she is staying with you