The 10-second life coach: Are you charismatic or empathetic
23:51 GMT, 4 November 2012
A new series that could transform the way you live.
Are you charismatic or empathetic Take the test to find out
Are you charismatic or empathetic
Rate how much you agree with these statements from one (strongly disagree) to five (strongly agree).
1. I often tap my feet to music.
2. I feel sad when I see someone who looks lonely.
3. I enjoy hugging people.
4. I care a great deal about animals.
5. I find it easy to make others laugh.
6. I get anxious if people around me become nervous.
7. I find it easy to catch someone’s eye.
8. I often cry when I see a romantic film or hear a lovesong.
9. People often describe me as the life and soul of the party.
10. I enjoy giving presents and looking at people’s faces when they open them.
We all unconsciously mimic the facial
expressions of those around us. Some are skilled at using their face,
body and voice to induce their own emotions in others.
Others will be good at ‘catching’ emotions.
In one experiment, participants were asked to rate how empathic they were, and then shown photographs of people who were happy or angry.
When the highly empathic participants saw a happy face, they smiled.
We all unconsciously mimic the facial expressions of those around us
To discover your charisma score, add up your responses to the odd- numbered questions.
For your empathic score, add up your responses to the even-numbered questions.
Between five and 15 is low, between 16 and 25 is high.
Rip It Up by Richard Wiseman (Pan Macmillan, 12.99). To order at the special price of 10.99, call 0843 382 0000 or visit mailshop.co.uk/books.