Prince William: 30 things you may not know about the Duke as he marks his 30th birthday
18:19 GMT, 21 June 2012
Prince William pictured in 2005
1. He was born on June 21 at 21:03 BST, 1982 at St Mary's Hospital, Paddington, west London, weighing 7lbs 5oz
2. His was christened William Arthur Philip Louis Windsor on August 4 1982 in the Music Room at Buckingham Palace, by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Robert Runcie
3. He shares his birthday with philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre, Ray Davies of the Kinks and singer Lana Del Rey
4. His monikers have included Big Willie, P.Willie, Wills, Billy, Wombat, Prince of Wails, and His Naughtiness
5. He attended Mrs Mynors School, Wetherby School in London, Ludgrove School in Berkshire and Eton College, before studying at St Andrews University in Scotland where he graduated in 2005 with a 2:1 hounors in Geography
6. It was revealed that he kept a poster of Baywatch babe Pamela Anderson on his dorm-room wall at Eton College
7. At St Andrews he enrolled under the name William Wales and his fellow students called him Steve to prevent journalists from picking up stories
8. Unlike his younger brother Harry, he has
managed to steer clear of scandal for the most part. In a rare negative
encounter with the press, he was photographed 'groping' 18-year-old
Brazilian Ana Ferreira while in a club in Bournemouth with
friends. 'He has big manly hands and certainly knows what to do with them,' she told The Sun
9. He only informed the Queen and the Prince of Wales of his engagement to long-term girlfriend Kate Middleton two hours before it was publicly announced
10. His wedding was watched by 24.5m people in the UK, and a global audience of two billion
11. In a documentary Elizabeth: Queen, Wife, Mother, Prince William he revealed that he got
only 30 minutes' sleep the night before his big day adding: 'I
hadn't slept at all that night because obviously all the crowds were on
The Mall. They were singing and cheering all night long. So, the
excitement of that, the nervousness of me, and everyone singing meant I
slept for about half an hour.'
12. Hobbies as a child included skiing, horse riding, rugby, tennis, hockey, rafting, rowing, and shooting
13. His favourite read is the action-adventure book Fledgling Jason Steed, by Mark A. Cooper because it's a 'typical British boys book. Action, Adventure, Romance, Emotion and some laughs.'
The prince is a fan of the 135 Treasure Chest
cocktail at trendy London bar, Mahiki (left) and during his Eton days he
kept a poster of Baywatch babe Pamela Anderson on his dorm-room wall
14. The young royal claims to enjoy a wide range of music but revealed 'I enjoyed the Justin Bieber song,
Never say Never, but it's not my favorite, that would have to be
'Yesterday' by the Beatles'
15. When at home he like to watch Top Gear and his car of choice would be a Land Rover
16. His favorite foods
are said to be pizza, pasta, poached eggs, venison and the Banana Flan that
he used to eat with his mother. Darren McGrady who cooked for Princess
Diana, William and Harry at Kensington Palace from 1993 to 1997 said: ‘The
princes liked stuffed potato skins, pizza and pasta. William
loved ice-cream and would eat it sitting in the kitchen windowsill,
chatting away. He was also very fond of banana flan.’
his younger days, he was reported to drink Stella Artois and sambuca
shots in clubs, as well as the 135 Treasure Chest cocktail at trendy London bar, Mahiki
18. He supports football team Aston Villa and it's believed he began following the club in his early years at Eton
19. The well-travelled royal speaks French fluently, has studied Welsh and even knows some Swahili
20. Age 16 he had a minor operation on his left index finger, which he broke while playing rugby. While under a general anesthetic, his finger was 'stabilized with pins and wires'
21. In 1991 he was rushed to St Ormond St Hospital in London after he was hit around the head with a golf club by a fellow school pupil – the incident left him with a Harry Potter-style scar on his forehead
If he was invisible for a day, he said: 'I'd probably go into the newspaper office and listen to all the stories they tell about me.'
William is a great fan of banana flan (left) and a Land Rover would be his vehicle of choice (right)
23. As a child he said he dreamt of joining the police force but soon realised it 'probably wasn't a good idea'
24. He later decided to join the army before settling on training to be a search and rescue helicopter pilot
25. In 2009 he spent a night sleeping rough in a sleeping bag near Blackfriars Bridge in central London in an event organised by homeless charity Centrepoint
26. Comedy Terrorist Aaron Barschak breached security to gatecrash William's 21st birthday party at Windsor Castle dressed as Osama bin Laden
His star sign is Cancer, a water sign. According to astrologists,
Cancerians are noted for their sensitivity, which is usually directed
towards those closest and dearest to them.
28. He's six feet three inches tall, his father, Charles is five feet eleven inches tall, while his brother Harry is six feet two inches tall
29. He has been immortalised in was at Madame Tussaud's in London along with wife Kate
30. He is set to inherit an estimated 10million from this mother's estate today as he celebrates his 30th birthday
PRINCE WILLIAM: A LIFE IN PICTURES
Prince William Arthur Philip Louis of Wales was born at 9.03pm on June 21 1982 at St Mary's Hospital, Paddington in London, weighing 7lb one and a half ounces
Diana fell pregnant with William just a few months after her fairytale wedding to the Prince of Wales in 1981.
William was sent to Mrs Mynor's Nursery School in west London aged three, then Wetherby School and Ludgrove School in Berkshire
On August 31 1997 news came Diana's death in a car crash in Paris as she was pursued by paparazzi
After leaving school, William went on a gap year which included jungle training in Belize with the Welsh Guards and a stint with Raleigh International in Chile
William followed Harry into Sandhurst to train as an officer in the Army in 2006, and then joined his sibling's regiment, the Household Cavalry's Blues and Royals.
his career in the forces, William decided to transfer his service to the
Royal Air Force, based at Anglesey, in North Wales. (Pictured left during Royal Navy training)
In November 2010 it was announced he was to wed his long-term love Kate Middleton
In 2011 the newlyweds held their first overseas tour as husband and wife travelling to Canada and the U.S.
In recent weeks William has joined his grandmother the Queen and other members of the Royal family at national events to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee
William graduated as an RAF Search and Rescue Force pilot and now pilots Sea King helicopters as Captain