Prince Philip finally discharged from hospital after five-day treatment for bladder infection

Prince Philip finally discharged from hospital after five-day treatment for bladder infection
Prince Philip, 91, had been receiving treatment at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary No visits from Royal Family after doctors apparently banned visitors

|

UPDATED:

12:23 GMT, 20 August 2012

The Duke of Edinburgh was today discharged from hospital after spending five days undergoing treatment for a bladder infection.

Prince Philip, 91, had been receiving treatment for a flare-up of a bladder infection that occurred during his stay at Balmoral on the Royals' annual summer break.

Up until yesterday, the Duke remained in hospital with no clear information as to when he would be discharged.

But today he left Aberdeen Royal Infirmary looking happy and relaxed.

Scroll down for video

The Duke of Edinburgh has been discharged from hospital today after spending five days undergoing treatment for a flare-up of a bladder infection

The Duke of Edinburgh has been discharged from hospital today after spending five days undergoing treatment for a flare-up of a bladder infection

He shook hands and chatted with staff
before being driven away in a black Range Rover to the Balmoral Estate
where the Queen, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall are staying.

With doctors believed to have banned
visitors to the hospital, the Queen and the Prince of Wales continued
with business as usual, spending the weekend on various engagements
including attending a church service at Crathie Kirk, near Balmoral.

The Duke was in regular contact with members of his family by telephone.

A Royal spokesman said: 'Prince Philip will return to Balmoral where he will continue his recovery from the recurrence of the bladder infection.

'He will remain there with the Queen until early October.'

It was during the Duke of Edinburgh and the Queen's annual summer break at Balmoral that he was admitted to hospital.

The Duke thanked hospital staff as he was escorted out of Aberdeen Royal Infirmary at 11 o'clock this morning

The Duke thanked hospital staff as he was escorted out of Aberdeen Royal Infirmary at 11 o'clock this morning

On leaving hospital the Duke of Edinburgh was taken 40 miles away to Balmoral

On leaving hospital the Duke of Edinburgh was taken 40 miles away to Balmoral

As Prince Philip is recovering at nearby Aberdeen Royal Infirmary the Queen attended church without her husband

As Prince Philip recovered at nearby Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, the Queen attended church

Prince Philip was taken into hospital on Wednesday when officials said that he would be in the infirmary for 'a few days'.

His latest health scare came less than
three months after he spent five nights in hospital with a bladder
infection following the Diamond Jubilee Pageant on the River Thames.

He had to miss some of the key celebrations for the Queen's 60-year reign after he was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital in London the day after braving wet and windy elements on a barge for several hours.

Philip also had a successful procedure to clear a blocked coronary artery in December and was in hospital for four nights over Christmas.

Durign the Olympics Prince Philip attended several Olympic events including the opening ceremony and a royal tour of the the Olympic Park.

He then saw his granddaughter Zara Phillips' Olympic equestrian debut and attended the ExCeL exhibition centre a few days later to watch boxing.

The Duke also appeared to be in good spirits recently when he took part in events as part of Cowes Week on the Isle of Wight and he has supported Queen Elizabeth during engagements in Scotland this month, including a Balmoral tea party.

Philip joined the Queen and the Earl and Countess of Wessex at the event on the estate, which was attended by around 3,000 guests.

The royals, including the Duke, reportedly looked relaxed during the event, which rounded off the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

It is not yet known whether he will attend his next official engagement – accompanying the Queen to the opening of the London 2012 Paralympic Games on August 29.

Royal service: Police stood guard at the entrance to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary where 91-year-old Prince Phillip was treated for a bladder infection

Royal service: Police stood guard at the entrance to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary where 91-year-old Prince Phillip was treated for a bladder infection

Struck down again: Back in June Prince Phillip was taken ill during the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant

Struck down again: Back in June Prince Phillip was taken ill during the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant

DM.has('rcpv1794432063001','BCVideo');