Read the 30 most titillating books of all time as libraries get in on the Fifty Shades effect with month-long erotic literature festival
13:16 GMT, 9 November 2012
Your local library is the kind of place you expect to find an ageing gent flicking through a Charles Dickens or hunting for a Henry James.
But the explosion in popularity of erotic novels this year is set to give libraries a real boost when libraries up and down the country launch a month-long celebration of erotic literature.
From next Friday, the Between The Sheets festival will bring 30 of the top titillating titles to 33 libraries nationwide.
Scroll down for the top 33 list
Jilly Cooper's classic 80s erotic book
The first book in E L James' trilogy has sold 5.3 million copies
Canadian author Madeline Moore's novel Sarah's Education
Portia Da Costa's In Too Deep features on the top thirty list
Including Fifty Shades of Grey, Jilly
Cooper's 80s hit Riders, and Portia Da Costa's best-seller In Too Deep,
these erotic novels are sure to be heavily thumbed by the time the festival ends on 16 December.
Libraries' Amanda Halls says 'Libraries are responding to changing
social trends in reading quicker than ever, but they also have a
responsibility to spark new types of conversations and debate.
The Sheets is an erotic fiction campaign designed to push the
boundaries of library users and challenge their reading horizons.'
Andrew Bond, Senior Librarian at Luton
Culture added 'There is a growing demand for erotic fiction titles, and
it’s vital that libraries respond to this.'
TOP THIRTY EROTIC NOVELS
1. Fifty Shades Of Grey by EL James
2. In Too Deep by Portia Da Costa
3. Sarah’s Education by Madeleine Moore
4.The Business Of Pleasure by Justine Elyot
5.The Initiation of Ms Holly by K.D. Grace
6. Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
7. The Bride Stripped Bare by Nikki Gemmell
8. Vox by Nicholson Barker
9. Bared To You by Sylvia Day
10. The Apprentice by Carrie Williams
11. Over The Knee by Fiona Locke
12. Destined To Play by Indigo Bloome
13. Lace by Shirley Conran
14. Scruples by Judith Krantz
15. Riders by Jilly Cooper
16. The Story Of O by Pauline Reage
17. Fanny Hill by John Cleland
18. Delta Of Venus by Anais Nin
19. The Perfumed Garden by Sheikh Nefzaoui
20. Venus In Furs by Leopold Von Sacer Masoch
21. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
22. Emmanuelle by Emmanuelle Arsan
23. Justine by Marquis De Sade
24. Fear Of Flying by Erica Jong
25. My Secret Garden by Nancy Friday
26. Story Of The Eye by Georges Bataille
27. Sexus by Henry Miller
28. Jane Eyre Laid Bare by Eve Sinclair
29. Erotique Noir by Miriam DeCosta-Willis
30. Poetry of Hearts by Wendy Maltz
Visit Between the Sheets for a full list of participating libraries.