Posh says no to Spice reunion despite the West End calling
When the Spice Girls musical was announced, it was meant to herald the return of Britain’s most successful girl band.
Along with performances at the Olympics opening ceremony and the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee concert, a big budget TV show was secretly being plotted.
The plan was for all five members — Victoria Beckham, Geri Halliwell, Melanie Chisholm, Emma Bunton and Melanie Brown — to lead a nationwide search to find the main characters for their West End show, in a format similar to Andrew Lloyd Webber’s talent searches on the BBC.
No return: Posh, second from right, is refusing to return instead focusing on her fashion career
However, plans have been shelved as Victoria refuses to rejoin the band for new projects. Posh believes she is finally being taken seriously as a fashion designer and doesn’t want to put that at risk.
She’s also reluctant to work with Mel B — Scary Spice — as the two have had cool relations for some time.
Mel B is believed to be keen to push ahead with the TV show, even without Posh.
My source says: ‘Mel B is desperate for this show to happen. All the other girls would consider it, but Victoria has made her feelings very clear.
'Other than attending the world premiere of the musical, she wants to focus on her fashion career.
‘She would be fine with the other four going ahead without her, but Emma doesn’t believe that’s the right thing to do.’ Baby Spice Emma insists the show won’t happen unless all band members are included.
My TV insider adds: ‘There would have been demand from both the BBC and ITV, but it only works if the Spice Girls themselves are all involved.’
The Spice Girls musical, Viva Forever, is being produced by Judy Craymer and written by Jennifer Saunders.
Beeb bids for Midwife stars
Popular: Call the Midwife has drawn large audiences
Within a month it became the BBC’s biggest drama hit in a decade, attracting over nine million viewers, and transformed the career of comic star Miranda Hart.
Now drama bosses are doing all they can to ensure Call The Midwife stays on air for the next five years.
A second season has been commissioned and extended to eight episodes.
But I’m told talks about securing stars for a third series in 2014 and beyond have also been started. ‘There hasn’t been anything like this at the BBC for many years,’ a Beeb source tells me.
‘We’re going to great lengths to ensure we have options on the cast to return for a number of future series.
‘We want this to become a big Sunday night franchise for BBC1 in the same way Downton Abbey is for ITV1.
‘Miranda is one of the key people we need to secure, but we are hopeful of doing so.’
No X-Factor return for Dannii
When I revealed Destiny’s Child star Kelly Rowland is to be axed as an X Factor judge, there was much speculation Dannii Minogue was being lined up to replace her.
Dannii quit the show last year because of commitments back home in Australia, but suggested she’d be open to coming back.
She’d been in talks to become a judge on Britain’s Got Talent before Simon Cowell poached Alesha Dixon from Strictly Come Dancing to fill the role instead.
ITV bosses remain ‘big fans’ of the younger Minogue sister, but I’m told Cowell has ‘categorically’ ruled out bringing Dannii back.
My source says: ‘Dannii isn’t going to return this year. She was a big part of X Factor history, but we need to move the show on.
Simon’s determined to create another star like Tulisa, who he thought completely stole the show last year.’
Cheryl Cole also ruled herself out. Cowell would have welcomed her back but her manager Will.I.Am — a judge on BBC rival show The Voice — is adamant she moves on.
Nothing glamorous about Sky's Oscar show
Yet again, Sky TV has been criticised for its amateurish Oscars coverage.
Hosted by Alex Zane, the same programme was shown on both Sky Living and Sky Movies Premiere, with embarrassing appearances from fashion designer Henry Holland and bit-part Harry Potter actor Natalia Tena.
Outraged viewers took to social-networking sites to complain about the pair’s behaviour.
One film producer said: ‘The coverage was appalling. Natalia and Henry
acted like spoilt schoolchildren, giggling throughout the night and hardly
managing to spit out a coherent sentence.’
Corden to return as Adele gaffe is overlooked
Despite the controversy surrounding Adele’s now infamous acceptance speech, where she was cut short as the show ran out of time, presenter James Corden’s offer to present the Brits for a third year running is to be confirmed by ITV.
Controversial: Despite having to force Adele,left, off stage, Corden, right, is returning to host the Brits next year
The Gavin & Stacey star originally signed a three-year deal, although this is negotiated each year.
ITV executives have taken the blame for the Adele incident, which resulted in the pop star giving a one-fingered salute.
Bosses believe Corden’s return is essential to the growing success of the show, which was once an industry laughing stock.
ITV expecting Titanic to follow in Downton's footsteps
ITV unveiled its Julian Fellowes drama Titanic yesterday. Bosses had planned to screen the 11m series over one week to mark the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the ship.
But to capitalise on the appeal of Downton Abbey, it is believed the drama will air in the same Sunday night timeslot. My source says: ‘We’ve spent so much money on this, it makes sense for it to run over four weeks.’