'I always felt miserable': Gary Barlow admits that he considered 'quitting' The X Factor due to the pressure
11:44 GMT, 29 September 2012
Back For Good: Gary Barlow has admitted that he thought about quitting The X Factor
Gary Barlow has revealed that he considered not returning to The X Factor this year.
Gary admitted that the pressure he and his fellow judges faced last year made him feel 'nervous'.
Quipping that he's 'not a fan of hard work' the 41-year-old said that juggling his music career with his mentoring role left him 'miserable' and tired.
Speaking to the Mirror, he said: 'There’s a lot of pressure, it really is massive. Last year, I’d sit down feeling so nervous.'
In the last series of the popular ITV talent show Barlow mentored the boys and had his work cut out for him with the likes of wild child Frankie Cocozza as one of his acts.
Frankie was kicked out of the competition over alleged cocaine use but with the help of Marcus Collins, Gary managed to make it to the finals where Collins placed second to girl group Little Mix.
Viewers saw Gary take on the role of head judge, alongside Louis Walsh, Tulisa Contostavlos and Kelly Rowland, following show boss Simon Cowell's decision to draft in a new set of judges to front the talent show, after he bowed out to concentrate on the US version of The X Factor.
'I've enjoyed the bad ones more': The 41-year-old said he will be taking things a lot 'lighter' this year
Continuing, the Back For Good singer told the paper: 'I was on tour while we were doing the auditions last year and it was hard work. I always felt miserable when I arrived because I was knackered.'
But hoping that this series he will be able take things a little 'lighter', Gary revealed that he really enjoyed the audition process this year, especially the tuneless hopefuls offerings.
He said: 'This year, I’ve enjoyed the bad ones more than the good ones.'
Last year's struggles: Frankie Cocozza (L) and
Marcus Collins were both in the boys category which Gary was in charge
of last year and both took to the competition very differently
In this series of The X Factor Gary Barlow will be mentoring the over 28's, compared to last year when he was put in charge of the boys.
During last week's show, the Take That singer seemed pleased with the mature group of singers and said: 'Oh wow. Brilliant! That is good news to my ears.'
'I feel like in recent years, the overs has become a bit of a joke category and I really want to restore what the overs should be this year. There are people over 28 with talent!’
Gary will be working with Kye Sones, Melanie Masson, Nicola Marie, Brad Shackleton, Carolynne Poole and Christopher Maloney.
'That is good news to my ears': Gary will be mentoring the over 28's this year
X Factor bosses have added some excitement for the upcoming live stages of the show.
They are believed to be introducing a wildcard entry, which will see the four judges choosing a candidate they previously axed who they believe deserves a second chance.
Viewers will reportedly see Gary Barlow, Tulisa, Louis Walsh and Nicole Scherzinger each choose three acts and a wildcard each after the judges' houses stage on Sunday night.
Then viewers will vote on which act deserves to join the 12 finalists on the first live edition of the series, which will air on ITV1 on October 6.
A spokesperson for the show refused to confirm the wildcard twist.
Wildcard twist: This year each judge will give one failed act a second chance to make it to the live shows