Afnan Iftikhar sent home as he becomes the first casualty of Andrew Lloyd-Webber"s Superstar


Another one bites the dust: Afnan Iftikhar sent home as he becomes the first casualty of Andrew Lloyd-Webber's Superstar

|

UPDATED:

13:48 GMT, 17 July 2012

Afnan Iftikhar became the first contestant to be eliminated from Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber's show Superstar.

The 23-year-old model found himself in the bottom two alongside Dirk Johnston after they failed to get enough votes from viewers.

Iftikhar and Johnston had to compete in a live sing-off in front of Lloyd-Webber who decided that it was the end of the road for Afnan.

Home time: Afnan Iftikhar (L) became the first contestant to be eliminated from Superstar last night after losing out to Dirk Johnston as they went head to head in a sing off

Home time: Afnan Iftikhar (L) became the first contestant to be eliminated from Superstar last night after losing out to Dirk Johnston as they went head to head in a sing off

Home time: Afnan Iftikhar (L) became the first contestant to be eliminated from Superstar last night after losing out to Dirk Johnston as they went head to head in a sing off

'I'm going to save Dirk': Lord Andrew Lloyd-Webber complimented the boys on their duet

'I'm going to save Dirk': Lord Andrew Lloyd-Webber complimented the boys on their duet

Both contestants performed Memory from the musical Cats as they went head to head in showing the impresario described as beautiful.

Struggling to come to a decision, the show boss explained: 'I'm wrong-footed because we're doing a song so different to what we've done so far and I hear two boys singing beautifully.'

Continuing he simply said: 'But I'm going to save Dirk.'

Soldering on: Afnan, who was rejected from the X Factor in 2007, thanked his supporters on Twitter

Soldering on: Afnan, who was rejected from the X Factor in 2007, thanked his supporters on Twitter

Obviously upset, Afnan told host Amanda Holden: 'I've had an amazing time.'

And as no stranger to rejection seeing as he failed to make the cut on the X Factor in 2007, the singer and model took to his Twitter page to thank his supporters.

He tweeted: 'Ladies and gents, thank u for your support! You've helped me get that much closer to my dream! Onwards nd upwards! ‪#gutted‬ ‪#superstar‬.'

Offering his condolences, Dirk who will be moving on in the competition, tweeted: 'What a day… Im in bed now and need to sleep! sending all my love to @Afnan_prince ‪#superstar'

Sending his love: Dirk was quick to send Afnan a message after he was sent home

Sending his love: Dirk was quick to send Afnan a message after he was sent home

Awkward: Afnan uploaded a picture of himself and Johnston days before he lost his place in the competition

Awkward: Afnan uploaded a picture of himself and Johnston days before he lost his place in the competition

Tonight the ten remaining contestants will face the judges again and another person will be waving goodbye to their dream to bag the lead role in new stage revival of Jesus Christ Superstar.

Having deserted the BBC for ITV it appears that Andrew Lloyd-Webber's gamble may prove a costly misstep, as viewing figures for his latest TV talent show, Superstar have dropped to an embarrassing low.

Just three million tuned in to watch Superstar on Saturday, while BBC1's Countryfile drew more than double numbers at 6.1 million last night.

It would appear that people are losing interest in the talent competition.

Sunday saw a slight improvement at 3.2 million, but it was still a relatively slow weekend for Lloyd-Webber.

Especially seeing as Andrew's previous efforts for the BBC fared significantly better.

Ratings slump: Superstar has failed to pull in as many viewers as Andrew Lloyd-Webber's previous projects

Ratings slump: Superstar has failed to pull in as many viewers as Andrew Lloyd-Webber's previous projects